Today we watched as the Obama Administration used the opportunity of the horrific attack in Newtown, Connecticut to bring the topic of gun control to the front pages when the debt crisis is about to hit Congress. We saw Obama giving his Executive Actions with the back drop of 4 children who had written to the President about gun control, as if they understood it. But that’s not what became the story of the day. The story of the day came from the Anarchists, Conspiracy Theorist, and those who take distrusting the government too far. After Obama gave 23 Executive Actions ranging from Health Care to Gun Control, these crazies could be found panicking and yelling frantically they we had reached the Orwellian Society and that we should all bunker down and get ready for war. Now, just to state it so someone doesn’t ask, there is a BIG difference between these people and Tea Party. The main difference, the Tea Party understands and supports a Federal Government as it was outlined in the Constitution while these crazies of the day think that we could do just fine without a Federal Government.
The following are the 23 Executive Actions that were announced today
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rule making to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
Many of these Executive Actions announced are already law. Executive Actions are simply the President telling his Departments what he would like to see written up for an Executive Order which then goes as a suggestion to Congress on what kind of law the President would like to see or the Order can be that, an order to one of the Departments. Take for instance # 16 “Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.” That’s already a law that has been in effect since 1976 when the Supreme Court of California decided in Tarasoff v. Board of Regents of the University of California that physicians were legally obligated to break confidentiality to report a patient that made a threat or they felt was a threat to themselves or others.
These Executive Actions are essentially memos to the Executive Order writers on what the President wants to written up to issue to his Departments and what he wants written up to suggest to Congress. But we have the crazies who have come out screaming bloody murder today. These are the people who are taking this all out of context and have no clue what terms like Executive Order and Executive Actions mean. My theory on all of this, the President and the Progressives where looking for this exact response from the crazies. Why try to make the same case for gun control that hasn’t worked for over 100 years when you can have the crazies on the opposing side make the case for you? These crazies have already made it clear that any attempt on them will be met with blood shed and that they will not hold back.
Now while I share their view that anyone trying to take my gun will be met with resistance, I do not follow their same logic behind this. My logic stems from the fact that any weapon I have is a defensive weapon that will only be used in life threatening situations or when I want to go get some dinner the old-fashioned way. The crazies logic is that everyone is out to get them and so they must be on the offense and take out in threat within a 300 yard radius. The crazies believe that the soul purpose of the Police Force and Military is to hold them back. My logic is that many of the Police and Military will honor their sacred Oath to Support and Defend the Constitution. We can not allow these crazies to be the faces on this issue because they will lose the battle and they do not stand for the same thing we do. When we have discussions and debates, it’s not for those who are already solid in their position but rather for those who are still on the fence or those who can be swayed to one side or the other. If we allow these crazies to be the defense for the 2nd Amendment, we will lose the battle because even those of us who support the 2nd Amendment and the rights of a free people know these people are crazy. We can not react to nothing as these crazies have done and we must continue what we’ve done over the past 5 years, educate and inform people to the truth and not these fringe groups.